The Grand Central Academy of Art was created by professional, exhibiting artists to offer classical training to serious students.
The program is built on the skills and ideas that have come from the classical world, the Italian Renaissance and through to the Beaux-Art tradition of the nineteenth century.
The Academy is a center for the revival of the classical tradition where a new generation of artists is supported in the pursuit of skill and beauty.
The Grand Central Academy of Art occupies a loft in the classical 1880's limestone General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen building. This building is in midtown Manhattan, two blocks from Grand Central Terminal and near the New York Public Library. The figure studios and cast hall are in large rooms with high ceilings and skylights. The Academy has the use of the historic cast collection of the Institute of Classical Architecture & Classical America, which was donated by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The collection includes over 200 nineteenth century casts of Antique and Renaissance sculpture. The casts, easels and models are spaciously situated and well lit.
The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen building also houses the headquarters, offices, and studios of the Institute of Classical Architecture & Classical America. The Grand Central Academy is an integral part of the ICA&CA whose mission is the advancement of Classical Art and Architecture in America. All GCA students are invited to participate in the Institute's lectures, colloquia, and classes on classical architecture and design.